April 1, 2009

So close, I can almost touch it.

Attempting to pick up where I last left off, I think this story finds me on the train once again to Philadelphia Friday morning. Having learned my lesson the last time, I just bought my ticket that morning when I arrived. I did hit the snooze button a few too many times, so I ended up catching the later train, which put me to the consulate about an hour later. Bad news for me, as this also landed me about 15 names lower on the sign-in sheet. After waiting about 20 minutes, I couldn’t take it any longer. There was a nun and a priest (I’m not kidding) at the window, attempting to get their visas for a pilgrimage to Italy in the summer. I politely yet forcefully pushed my way into the visa officer’s line of vision and asked if I needed to wait in line if I was just picking up a completed visa. Thankfully, she recognized me from my visit two days before, pulled my passport, complete with visa from a filing cabinet and sent me on my way. I made it back to the city before noon.

I stopped in at the office again that afternoon to drop off my completed paperwork, and then headed back to the hotel where I took the most powerful of power naps. When I woke up, Anne and Alison were back. We took the train out to Brooklyn where we met up with Jamie, who drove in from Syracuse just to see me. As Anne said, “Now, that’s love!”

We had dinner Friday night at Perilla, the best restaurant in the whole world. (Website is http://www.perillanyc.com/ if you’re curious.) If you’re hungry, stop reading here… we had edamame falafel, and I ordered the grilled Hudson Valley quail and passion fruit tres leches. All very, very delicious. Alison had the duck – shocking – Jamie had the bass and Annie had the steak. I think we all enjoyed our meal and went back to the hotel very full. That night, Jamie and Anne made a bed on the floor, and we all giggled and stayed up talking way too late, just like a full-fledged slumber party. No pillow fights though, sorry to disappoint.

Saturday, after a quick brunch at Connelly’s, we dropped Alison off at work while Anne, Jamie and I set off for Canal Street. Chinatown was particularly crazy, with people everywhere. We spent at least 3 or 4 hours wandering around, laughing at the Asian women whispering, “Gucci, Gucci, Gucci” in our ears. Anne found a bag and Jamie bought a wallet. I, on the other hand, added two more fake $5 pashminas to my expanding collection. We lingered a little while in Little Italy over a cappuccino and pastry. Jamie took my picture in the street and with the coffee, as an “I’m almost there” or “This is what it’s going to be like” memento.

We were exhausted by 6pm, and headed back to Times Square to see a movie. Nothing was showing at the right time, so we opted to bother Alison and then eat more food… You never go hungry in New York City! Sleepy, we all headed back to Brooklyn to crash at Alison’s house that night, around 10pm.

I woke up really anxious about leaving the girls Sunday morning. This was, after all, my last goodbye. My friends in Charlotte were tough and my parents and Josh in the airport were even tougher, but this goodbye was, I don't know... More official, more final? Once I left Alison, Anne and Jamie, I’d be on my own for who-knows-how-many months. I made it on to the train without any crying but did let a few tears escape as we pulled away.

After a brunch at Blue Finn Grille (that was just so-so) came the train that took me away to the Edith Macy Conference Center in Chappaqua. I’ve been here, at Macy, for the last few days, getting to know my co-workers that will live/work with me in Italy, and other Global Girl Scout staff members. Some live and work in Japan, others do their thing from New York. We are an incredibly diverse team, responsible for an extraordinary amount of work, considering there are only 20 of us. In the last few days, I’ve just been bombarded with info on who we as Global Girl Scouting are, what we do and how we do it. All great stuff, just overwhelming amounts of info. I’m taking lots of notes to revisit when I get settled in Italy.

So, that brings us to the now… I have some packing to do (it’s amazing how my suitcases have this inate ability to unpack themselves and strew my belongings all over the room when I’m not looking) but otherwise, I’m ready to make the big trip over the ocean. I realized today that I’ve been “getting ready to go” for the last three months. I can’t describe how incredibly surreal it is to actually be going now…

I fly out tomorrow evening. I’m going over with my co-workers, which is a relief. I won’t have to worry about picking out a familiar face at the airport or trying to get a taxi with all my bags. (Have I mentioned I’m lugging around almost 200 pounds of luggage?) Since I’m not sure what the first few days over there will be like in regards to internet access, don’t worry if you don’t hear from me immediately. As soon as I can get connected, I’ll let you all know I arrived safe and sound. In the meantime, some highlights from my upcoming training schedule in Italy are below…

Thursday: Dinner in Tierrna with staff
Saturday: Day trip to Pisa
Monday: House hunting with Carol and Ricardo
Tuesday: Afternoon off to study for my Italian driver’s license test
April 17: Trip to Florence

Until next time… Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! You know how many months it will be till you see someone- 4! Jaidi and I have been doing research on the places to visit! I hope you have a great flight! Love ya! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for you visit! I'm really hoping to get to Amsterdam while you're there, and of course showing off Italy. I have a day trip to Florence scheduled for April 16, so hopefully I'll generate a list of places to take you both to.

    ReplyDelete