April 3, 2009

Infine! Sono qui.

Just two days in to my stay in Italy, and I’m already completely smitten.

There are so many stories to tell, I don’t know where to start. I’ve started a few anecdotes and erased what I had typed. So, instead of worrying about chronology and flow, I’m just going to tackle the last two days in bullet points. I’m assuming no one tunes in to hear things about my flight (uneventful) and such, so I’m jumping right in to the good stuff!

- On my first day in Italy, at Camp Darby, in line at the shopette, an Italian Carabiniere’s (police officer) cell phone rang. The ring tone? Sweet Home Alabama. I kid you not.

- This morning, as I tried to shower off the jet lag and airplane grime from the day before, I stood in the tub for 5 minutes pushing and twisting the shower knob. I twisted so much, the knob fell off. Worried that I was going to have to be that American and call the front desk, asking, “How do you work this here shower?” I stepped out to put my glasses on. I pulled a few more times, ready to give up when I just happened to push. And, wah-lah! Success!

- When I logged in to Google yesterday, to look up info on Brussels flower carpet (only displayed bi-annually, and I don’t want to miss it!) I realized everything was in Italian. At that moment, I realized that, oh-my-god, I’m really in Italy! And then, I realized that, oh-my-god, I really only know 3 words in Italian. I’ve been practicing with Margaret, and intend to take classes on base every Monday during my lunch, but still… I have so much to learn. As an aside, the Flower Carpet will be displayed again in August, 2010. Info is here: http://www.flowercarpet.be.

- I fell asleep watching America’s Next Top Model last night – the new season. Apparently, the Armed Forces Network (AFN) shows all sorts of new shows, just a day late. Tonight, I watched Thursday’s episode of the Daily Show. So, I can continue to stay up to date on current affairs through Jon Stewart’s snarky reporting. I have TV in my hotel room, but will also get a free box when I find an apartment.

- Carol (my boss) and her husband Larry invited me over for dinner last night. We had a mushroom soup that Larry made with bread and olive spread. All very, very good. Carol and the other staff members have all been so gracious and welcoming. There’s no way I would be able to navigate all the military “stuff” without their help, and Josh’s patient answers to the questions I’m too embarrassed to ask anyone else.

- I went to dinner tonight at a small restaurant in Tirrenia (pronounced much like the Italians pronounce my name, believe it or not) called Piropo. It was my first real Italian meal, and I’m hooked. I was expecting delicious, amazing, mouth watering, but this meal was simply beyond words. Instead of trying to describe it, I’m just going to list what I had and tell you that you must visit and eat it to believe it! I started with Gnocchi dela Sorrentina, followed by spinaci and the most amazing panna cotta con fruta bosco (with fruit of the forest, or wild strawberries and wild berries). Best of all, perhaps was the house red wine for 3.50-euro per liter. Let me repeat that – Italian red wine. An entire liter. For 3.50-euro.

- Before dinner, we stopped at the pier and I got my first view of the ocean. From where we were, we could see Elba Island, the location of Napoleon’s exile in 1814. He stayed on the island for 300 days before Veronica Portelli, his mistress, convinced him to escape. What followed in France is known as the Hundred Days, and he was subsequently captured at Waterloo, which I visited the last time I was in Belgium. Apparently, there are ferries to and from the island. I think that’s going to be one of my first weekend trips once I get settled!

The few parts of Italy I’ve seen are exactly as you would picture them – a lot of red and yellow Tuscan colors on all the buildings with bits of exposed brick, an amazing view of the ocean and Elba Island (where Napoleon was exiled) from the pier, lemon and orange trees everywhere, sunshine and clear, blue skies every day, friendly people, AMAZING food… However, whenever I start to get frustrated that I can’t speak more Italian, or worried that I’m never going to be able to navigate the roads, I go back to base where they speak English and have Diet Dr. Pepper in the commissary for 34-cents. It’s the perfect mix of living in Italy and still keeping the comforts of home. It’s hard to describe, but trust me when I say this might be the best job on earth. I can’t wait to find a home and a car and start entertaining all my visitors. I’m holding out for an apartment with a patio or some sort of backyard so I can invest in a small fire pit or chimenia type thing at the PX. Maybe even a grill, too.

Tomorrow, I’m going to a real life Italian mall with Carol. I have no idea what to expect, but will of course, let you know how it all turns out. She assures me that I can find an Italian hair straightener, lest I melt the hotel outlet with my high voltage, American appliance.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my god you are in Italy!! I still can't believe it. Can't wait to see pics. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know Italian appliances run on 220V and American run on 110V so technically you would melt your appliance on the high voltage italian outlet not the other way around :-) miss you friend

    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  3. taryn i can not believe how awesome this is! take tons of pictures and start uploading some soon. good luck my dear! ~ mina

    ReplyDelete