May 5, 2009

Forte

Although I am a little tipsy from the limoncello my landlady so kindly offered up, I can already tell this is going to be wonderful relationship. Between us, we both have about four words in common. She knows, “chocolate” (it helps that the pronunciation is almost the same in both Italian and English) and I know “va benne,” “grazie” and “non capisco.” But, I don't need words to know I like her.

Thinking I would just drop off the money – she requested I pay in cash, which is fine by me – I rang her bell this afternoon. She invited me up and told me to sit (well, she pulled out a chair and motioned to it, at least) while she wandered off for her receipt book. If by receipt book, you mean small, spiral bound notepad in which she hand writes money in and out. When she got back, she pulled the lid off a ceramic jar and gestured for me to eat some of the chocolate within. I obliged. We laughed a little bit while she counted and then recounted and then counted again the money in my Community Bank envelope. She finally came up with the correct total and wrote out my receipt.

At that point, things started to get exciting. She insisted I eat more chocolate and pulled out her bottle of limoncello from the liquor cabinet. I showed her with my fingers, in that universal symbol everyone is supposed to know, I only wanted a little bit. Un poquito, por favor. Never mind that that’s Spanish, she was supposed to understand. Instead, I got a full glass of the stuff. I took a few sips and shivered a little bit as it burned going down. She kept asking, “Forte?” which I can only imagine means strong. I kept saying si, si, si…

After sitting and staring at each other for a while, and cracking ourselves up any time we tried to communicate, I got up and gave her a quick hug, complete with European cheek kisses, and headed back downstairs. I left my limoncello unfinished. I hope that isn’t some grave offense in Italy. I really want her to like me and continue to let me practice my Italian on her. It’s just, if I had partaken in any more of the “forte” alcohol on my empty stomach, I would have ended up crashing on her couch.

3 comments:

  1. it is a sin in my eyes to leave limoncello unfinished....mmmmm mail me the left overs next time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to laugh when, at the end of your Italy years, this lady has become one of your closest friends. Y'know. When Italian starts to spring out of your mouth the way English and Spanish already do. I'm glad you have her.

    ReplyDelete