May 10, 2009

Volterra

I woke up this morning, expecting to drive to Ikea in Florence with Rachel. Everyone was a little behind schedule though, so plans changed… Sitting at home, alone, I debated wasting the day in my house, maybe venturing out to the Centro di Borghi again to wander around the Iper-Coop. Instead, I broke out my Rick Steve’s Guide to Italy from way back in 2005 and started plotting.

Options included San Gimiginano, Lucca and Volterra. Rick seems to think San Gimiginano is a tourist trap – I’ve only been there once for less than an hour, but I disagree – and Lucca was a bit further than I was looking to drive this morning. So, I loaded in to the trusty Mercedes Station Wagon rental and took off for Volterra.

First, I stopped for gas at the station in my neighborhood. I find that any time I’m taking off driving to an unknown destination in a foreign country, it’s best to do so with a full tank of gas. It just starts things off with karma on your side. Last week, I made the effort to commit the word for ‘full’ to memory. During the day, gas stations are full service. The attendants always ask what type and how much gasoline you want. I have diesel down (the rental is diesel, I’ll have to figure out how to ask for regular gasoline when I get my VW) and thought I remembered the word for full. I spit out a few words that I thought sounded right. Pido? Piedo? Pino? At which point, the attendant looked at me and said, “Full?” Sigh. Yes. Full, please.

I’ve since looked up the word for full again, and it is “Pieno.” I was close.

The 45-minute drive to Volterra alone was worth the trip. I knew the area in and around Ponsacco was scenic, but I had no idea. Just a ten minute drive through my backyard, and I found myself weaving around typical, narrow, Italian streets. Fifteen minutes found me in the Italian country side. I wouldn’t say I was in the mountains exactly. Perhaps really big, rolling hills. Regardless, it was beautiful. I rolled my window down and actually said out loud to the car, “This is amazing.” And then, “I’m talking to myself, but it’s OK because I live in Italy!”

In order to get there, I set a restaurant in Rick Steve’s guide as my destination. Seemed like a good idea at the time, until I made a left turn and unexpectedly found myself driving down a street like this…



Only, imagine a sea of 100+ tourists walking down the same street, not concerned at all that a giant, Mercedes station wagon was heading right towards them. I made it about 3 streets in – once you’re in, you have to drive through the whole town to get out – and parked my car. I wasn’t positive it was a legal parking space, but there were other cars there and I didn’t see any signs indicating otherwise. I wandered in to the main square and picked up a map of the city and some postcards and asked the shop clerk what road I was on. I had visions of forgetting where I parked my car. After that, I wandered a bit further and grabbed a sandwich at a little cafĂ©. I ate outside under the looming cathedral while I studied my map and made my plans for the afternoon.

It was about that time I got nervous about the car. I tried to convince myself it would be fine, but couldn’t shake the vision of me walking back to my make shift parking space only to find the car towed. I then imagined the phone call to one of my co-workers, explaining why I needed them to drive all the way to Volterra to rescue me. Needless to say, I practically ran back to the car and jumped in for round 2 of driving on Italian medieval roads never intended for cars in the first place.

At the first intersection I came to, I put on my right turn signal and glared impatiently at the two men standing in the middle of the road. Confused as to why they weren’t moving, I just eased toward them until they moved. It wasn’t until I was driving away and caught a glimpse of them in my rear view mirror, laughing and shaking their heads, that I realized I was driving the wrong way down a one way road. Luck was on my side and the road was empty (apparently, no one else is dumb enough to drive their car inside Volterra’s walls) and I was able to turn around and drive out in the right direction. I passed the two men again, and exchanged a smile with them. No one can ever accuse me of not having a sense of humor about these things…

I ended up in a real parking lot just outside of the walls near the Teatro Romano. This small site officially holds the title of first Italian ruins I’ve seen during my time here. I’m sure there are lots more to come, but it was exciting nevertheless.



After the ruins, I walked back in to town. I picked up a few souvenirs including two alabaster wine stoppers. Volterra is known for their alabaster and I needed wine stoppers since lately, I have been breaking the cork on any wine bottle I try to open. I also got the obligatory magnet. I’m going to have a full refrigerator by the time I leave!

By 5pm (or, 1700 for all you military minded people out there) I had already seen the whole town and decided to start the trip back. I was exhausted by the time I made it back to Ponsacco and ended up taking a nap that ruined my evening plans. I stayed home and watched Marley & Me. A good movie, but should be avoided at all costs if you are a) a dog lover or b) even slightly emotional. If you fit either of those categories and still feel the need to rent it, skip the last 20 minutes all together. Trust me. It’s better that way.

1 comment:

  1. aww friend so glad of your adventurous spirit

    ReplyDelete